Spring greetings to all!
Now that the worst of the pandemic appears to be behind us, we’re looking forward to a new growing season and to catching up on postponed projects in the garden. Of course, we’ll continue to follow Covid protocols as determined by our Public Health Officer and the City of Port Coquitlam.
As for postponed projects, we’re looking to all members to contribute as they are able throughout the season to help carry out some needed fixes to our infrastructure. Our ambitious work plan includes the following:
- Rehabilitate the area around the picnic table.
- The tree roots had caused the concrete pads to heave. This posed a tripping hazard.
- The concrete pads and underlying blocks have already been removed.
- Restore the tarped area and create two more plots.
- This project will involve weeding the area and screening the soil.
- Compost bins* and box planters have already been removed from tarped area. *The compost bins haven’t worked out as originally hoped, so the committee decided to discontinue this project.
- Install improved drainage around each of the water taps.
- Water has been pooling around the taps because of the fine soil and compaction as a result of foot traffic over the years.
- Since there are no drain lines to tap into, we will install “pit drains” to prevent puddling and bogginess in these areas.
- Replace a number of rotten boards on selected plots.
- Lumber has been purchased, and the boards are scheduled to be replaced with the help of members.
Stay tuned for further details as we move into the season.
Mushroom manure: Bill will purchase small loads of mushroom manure for delivery early in April. Please help yourself to the manure as needed for your garden plot. There are a few wheelbarrows in the shed that can be used for moving the manure to your plot.
Membership cards: New membership cards will be emailed to members before March 31st. Amsterdam Greenhouses continues to offer a 10% discount when you present your membership card. If you’re aware of any other garden retailers and greenhouses that offer a similar discount to members, please let us know.
As always, please let us know of any questions or concerns.
Happy and safe gardening!